Originally located at 1811 State Street, this Ell-wing Folk Victorian with later Bungalow-style alterations was built in 1896. Occupied by the Helfrich family for over 50 years, it was relocated to this site to evade demolition and restored as studio space for the Harry Gendel Architects firm.The original house that stood at 1807 Decatur.
A member of the Helfrich family, Ella Helfrich, created the Tunnel of Fudge cake which won the 1966 National Pillsbury Bake-Off contest. Another daughter, Margaret Westerman, was long time city secretary of which the city hall annex is named after.
The Phillip Helfrich House, built in 1896 at 1811 State St.
arrives at 1807 Decatur.
In 2000 the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance presented Harry and Diane Gendel a Good Brick Award for the restoration and rehabilitation of the Philip M. Helfrich House.