History‎ > ‎Decatur‎ > ‎

1904 Decatur

The contemporary residence marks the former site of the Otto Vogt House that was built in 1911 to replace the McAuliffe house built in 1903 that was relocated to 2210 Kane in 1910. Mr. Vogt, a Danish immigrant, ran the successful Lone Star Market behind the house at 1907 Washington.  His store had a distinctive Swiss theme, and was quite popular amongst the Northern European immigrants of the neighborhood.  The Vogt house was one of the most imposing residences of the neighborhood until it was struck by lightning and succumbed to fire in 1986. The current contemporary structure that sits there today was built in 2001 before the neighborhood became a protected historic district with design guidelines for new construction.


Comments