Click here for more photos.
This imposing Queen Anne Cross-Gable Victorian is one of the few remaining large residences of Old Sixth Ward. It was built in 1898 for Mr. Peter and Mrs. Angeline Valentine. Mr. Valentine was a longtime faithful valet for Mr. William Marsh Rice of Rice University. When he retired, Mr. Rice gave him an enormous sum of money as a token for many years of faithful service. Peter Valentine used part of the gift to pay for the construction of this home, noted for its elegant interior. Unfortunately he died before the house was completed but his wife continued to own it until her death in the 1920’s.
For over 30 years it was used as a parsonage for the First Baptist Tabernacle Church before falling into disrepair.
The wrap-around porch was rebuilt around 1999. The house still features its original curly-pine wainscoting, trim, and mantelpieces which set it apart as having one of the most ornate interiors in Old Sixth Ward.
1912 Decatur is a mirror image of this house.