This neo-Gothic church building with a raised basement was built in 1921 to replace an earlier 1890s wood-frame church that was too small to serve a growing congregation. The high pitched stained glass windows give the church a Gothic Revival look. Several of the stained glass windows were donated by Sixth Ward families. It remained in use as a church until 2003 when it was converted into a studio for an architectural firm.
In 2004 a Good Brick Award from the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance was presented to Kathleen English, Charlotte Rothwell, Walter L Visinsky Sr, William C. Visinsky for their restoration and rehabilitation of the former Tabernacle Baptist Church.