Riordan-Herzog House, 1817 Decatur
This ell-wing Folk Victorian with Italianate influences was built in 1879 for Mr. John Riordan, a prominent banker who lost his fortune after financing General William Walker’s failed conquest of Nicaragua in 1856. The house was originally a small one and half story two room cottage built in the late 1860’s and was relocated a few feet to the east after the lot it sat on was subdivided in the early 1900’s. Originally, it had a prominent Italianate bay window in the front that was probably removed in the 1950s while the house was a rental.
For additional historical details click here.