Site of the Butler Mansion
The modern brick building marks the site of the former Butler Mansion, which was the one of largest houses in the neighborhood for most of the 20th century. Erected in 1900, the Classical Revival styled house featured double galleried porch on three sides of the house, giving it an appearance of a New Orleans’ Garden District mansion. The house garnered wide attention when a frog was discovered alive in 1930 after being buried in the refrigerator insulation for 30 years. The mansion survived the rerouting of Sawyer Street of 1969 until it was pulled down in 1991.