Mr Charles W. Doering, an engineer/architect for the H&TC railroad, purchased Lots 1 and 2 of Block 443 for $200 and designed his own residence to be built on the lot in 1885. He also designed an identical house at 709 Silver, which no longer stands.
CW Doering was born on August 16, 1846 and his wife, Helene C, was born on March 8, 1854. They raised four children Paula C, b. 1876, Charles A, b. 1879, Eleonore, b 1885, and Bertha, b. 1888.
CW became prosperous from inventing a jack that was used for locomotives (http://www.google.com/patents/US732142), and acquired a hunting ranch out in Piney Point. That area is known today as Doering Place. Shadow Way St runs through the area today.
The Doerings were very active in local German organizations such as the Saegerbund and Turnverein, and were one of the major benefactors for the construction of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church at the SE corner of Texas and Milam Streets. The congregation has been moved to 1311 Holman where it still worships to this day.
The Doering House was expanded to nearly twice its size sometime between 1896 and 1907, but reverted back to its original footprint by 1923 when CW built the house at 1818 Kane for his daughter, Paula. 1818 Kane was originally one story (the second floor was originally the main level). Paula taught German at the Houston High School (today's HCC's Central Campus), and Bertha was a professor of mathematics at University of Texas.
CW died in 1910 and is buried in the Doering plot at Glenwood Cemetery (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=83832028). Helene died in 1927, and all of their four children were also buried in the same plot.
The Doerings sold the house sometime in the early 20th century, and it was used as a rental property for the rest of the century until it was remodeled by the Thompsons in the late 1990s.