Established in 1858, the Old Sixth Ward was identified as Fourth Ward North until a city ordinance, created on December 9, 1895, formally named it the Sixth Ward.  
Originally sandwiched between Memorial Drive and Washington Avenue, Houston Avenue and Glenwood Cemetery, the Sixth Ward grew in the 20th century to include other neighborhoods west of it.  However, the neighborhood that was established within the original boundaries exists today as the Old Sixth Ward. It stands today as the oldest intact neighborhood in the city of Houston and features the largest concentration of Victorian structures in the region outside of Galveston.

In 1978, the Old Sixth Ward was the first Houston neighborhood listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designated as a Historic District by the City Council on June 25, 1998. On August 1, 2007, it became the first Protected Historic District in the city where demolition is not permitted except for dire situations. 

The Old Sixth Ward Neighborhood Association's (O.S.W.N.A.) mission is to preserve the Old Sixth Ward and to enhance the quality of life of its residents.

In 1978, the Old Sixth Ward was the first Houston neighborhood listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designated as a Historic District by the City Council on June 25, 1998. 

Join the OSW Neighborhood Association

Please note, membership is suspended until OSW regains 501c3 status.

Dues are $25 per household each year. Membership is annual and begins in January of each year. 

To become a member of O.S.W.N.A. please mail your information and dues to: 

Old Sixth Ward 
1900 Kane, Room 102
Houston, TX 77007

Check are payable to O.S.W.N.A.

Download a membership form here.

Meetings are held the third Monday of the month, 6:30pm, at MECA, Dow School Building, 1900 Kane at Silver.

New to the neighborhood? Check out our New Neighbor Packet.