The Old Sixth Ward neighborhood is a City of Houston-designated "Historic District" and as such, all new construction and alterations to existing homes go through the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission to receive a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA).
This does not apply to routine repairs that do not change the architecture of the home. Exterior paint colors and interior modifications of a home are NOT affected by the ordinance. Not sure if you need a CoA? Contact Us or Visit the CoA page of the Historic Preservation Manual for more guidance.
There are no deed restrictions in the Old Sixth Ward. We have never had deed restrictions, and currently have no plans to implement them.
If you're working on plans for your home, would like to bounce ideas, have questions, or want guidance on navigating the Certificate of Appropriateness process for the Old Sixth Ward, just Contact Us and we can help.
Historic Conservation Resources
- Old Sixth Ward Historic Conservation Committee Charter
- City of Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission (HAHC)
- City of Houston HAHC Recorded Videos
- City of Houston HAHC Meeting Minutes
- City of Houston Historic Preservation Manual
- City of Houston Old Sixth Ward Design Guidelines
- City of Houston Certificate of Appropriateness