Site of the Butler Mansion
The modern brick building at 800 Sawyer marks the site of the former Butler Mansion, which was the one of largest houses in the neighborhood for most of the 20th century. Erected in 1900, the Classical Revival styled house featured double galleried porch on three sides of the house, giving it an appearance of a New Orleans’ Garden District mansion. The mansion survived the rerouting of Sawyer Street of 1969 until it was pulled down in 1991.
Made 19 Jul 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.