This 2-story Classical Revival inspired house has been affectionately known as the ‘Queen of the Sabine’ due to its distinction as the only masonry dwelling (load-bearing brick walls) in the Old Sixth Ward. It was designed by Olle Lorehn, a Swedish-immigrant architect, and built in 1906 as the showplace home, complete with formal gardens, of William Henry Lighthouse. In 1906 he was a collector and salesman for the Butler Brick Works. In the 1920's he was the manager of the A. T. Lucas Brick Works and the Houston Brick Works, and in the 1930's he was the owner of the Lighthouse Brick Company. He died in 1936; his wife lived at 2018 Kane until her death in 1954; and their daughter Mrs. Viola Holm lived there until 1974.
William Lighthouse and sons
William H. Lighthouse