This ell wing Folk Victorian style house was built in 1897 by David L. Laird, a Canadian immigrant, and his mother Rose D. Laird. Each of them owned a one-half interest in the lot. He worked as a painter in the H. & T. C. shops and as a house painter. He died in 1908, but his mother and other family members lived at 1818 State until about 1919. After 1927 the house was rental property until 2018.