Land & People
The 1900 census tells us a lot about the people who were living in the Sixth Ward at that time. What percent were immigrants and what percent were native born? Where did the immigrants come from? What were the most common occupations? Who were the major employers? For answers to these and other questions click here.
For an analogous analysis of the 1920 census click here.
Most of the Old Sixth Ward Protected Historical District is in a subdivision of the City of Houston with the official name BAKER W R NSBB. It is on 130 acres bought in 1838 by William R. Baker. He created blocks and streets in 1858 and began to sell lots in January 1859. This analysis explores the early land transactions that formed not only W. R. Baker's Addition but the whole area between Houston Avenue and the cemeteries. It also explores the land transactions that built the cemeteries.
Sabine Street is the oldest brick-paved street in Houston. Only seven brick streets remain. This analysis explores when, why, and how they were paved.
The Lottman Mattress Factory on the southwest corner of Washington and Sawyer was for many years a major employer.
Modern Sawyer Street was a creation of the 1960s.
The building at 2100 Memorial is on land that used to belong to the cemetery.
The building at 601 Sawyer occupies block 2 in the KING subdivision (block 387 in BAKER W R NSBB). Prior to redevelopment almost all of the families that lived on this block were black.
Land south of North Memorial Way and west of Sabine has belonged to the city for many years. It once belonged to Abraham Groesbeck and then to Rice University.