This house was built in about 1880 as a simple three-room Fourth Ward North cottage with board and batten siding. By 1907 it had been expanded to its current footprint, and it was a raised house on 7' piers. It once exhibited a widow’s walk on the roof.
The early ownership is strange; the lot was originally purchased in 1878 by a 3-year-old child, who was a niece of Elias Tharpe, a brickmaker who lived at the SW corner of Decatur and Henderson. There were several changes of ownership within the family, and then in 1893 the lot was sold. After that until 1990 it had numerous owners. It was sometimes owner occupied and sometimes rented. Since 1990 it has been owner occupied.