This considerably modified house was one of two gabled-front extended shotgun cottage which Francois Tajan, a French immigrant, built as tenant houses at 1808 and 1810 State Street in about 1892. Each one had a shed and a privy. Tajan owned 1810 State until 1906. From 1914 until 1945 it was rental property owned by Charles and Frieda Dorfman. They were Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, who lived for many years at 1813 and 1816 State Street. He was a street peddler and vegetable vendor.