In 1887 Jacob Hartung, a German immigrant and a machinist in the H. & T. C. shops, bought 2 lots with improvements on the southwest corner of Kane and Sabine. In the 1890 Sanborn map 2 houses face Kane. They will be 1801 and 1805 Kane. The house at 1805 Kane on lot 11 was probably built in about 1889 and was probably moved in about 1905 to the rear of the corner lot (lot 10) to make room for another house on lot 11. The new address was 709 Sabine. The current form of the roof with open eaves and exposed rafter tails is probably a consequence of the move. In both locations the house was rental property until 1944. In that year Lawrence J. Wilks bought 709 Sabine from the widow of Jacob Hartung's son Otto Hartung. He and his wife lived there until about 1962 after which the house again became rental property until at least 2007.
Made 29 Oct 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.