This post-Victorian cottage was built in about 1916 by Mrs. Emma Souchard as a tenant house. She owned a tract 80' wide from Washington to Decatur. When she died in 1922 the tract was divided among 4 heirs. Her son William Souchard inherited 1804 Decatur. It remained rental property until it and the adjoining house at 1806 Decatur were bought by Eugene Dean in 1958. Eugene's mother Helen Dean already lived at 1804 Decatur when he bought it. She continued to live there for many years; he lived next door at 1806 Decatur.