2219 Decatur, Albertina Stuer house
A building permit was issued in July of 1893 to Mrs. Albertina Stuer, a widow, for the construction of this five-bay center-hall Folk Victorian house. Estimated cost: $700. Mrs. Stuer was the widow of Mattias, who was a landholder in the Eureka Junction area (area north of today’s Memorial Park). The house features the beloved Sixth Ward trademark, the dove bracket.
Mrs. Stuer bought 2 lots in 1892. She lived on the corner lot at 2219 Decatur for about 2 years from 1894 to 1896. In about 1906 she built a house on the other lot at 2217 Decatur, and she lived there until her death in 1911. Both houses were rental property for most (maybe all) of the rest of the century.