This imposing Queen Anne Cross-Gable Victorian is one of the few remaining large residences of Old Sixth Ward. It is noted for its elegant interior. It was probably built in 1898 by Charles Clappart, who worked for the H. & T. C. as a locomotive engineer. His marriage was troubled; he may have intended to live in the house, but he never did. He sold it in 1902 to Marcus Clarke, who was a foreman blacksmith for the same railroad. Clarke was married to Rose Valentine, and her mother Mrs. Pierre Valentine lived with them for about 5 years before they sold the house in 1918 to the Tabernacle Baptist Church, which used it for a parsonage until about 1939. It was sold at auction to an insurance company in 1936. The company sold it in 1938 to Theresa E. Hutton, who lived for many years at 1920 Kane. It remained in the Hutton family until 1993, as it became increasingly dilapidated.
The wrap-around porch was rebuilt around 1999. The house still features its original curly-pine wainscoting, trim, and mantelpieces, which set it apart as having one of the most ornate interiors in the Old Sixth Ward.
It is a mirror image of 1914 Decatur, which is a year older.
Made 29 Jul 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.