This house is a fine Folk Victorian example of an extended shotgun cottage, popular in coastal Texas and Louisiana around the turn of the 20th century as tenant housing. It was built around 1900 at 1508 Sutton Street in Freedman’s Town (Fourth Ward) and moved to this location in 1994. The first documented tenant of the house was Mr. Eugene Kelly, a cook for the Rice and Brazos Hotels. A large house built in 1885 by J.W. Melvin once stood on this lot at 1804 Lubbock but had disappeared by the mid 1920’s.