908 Taylor

Three lots (10-12) at the corner of Union and Taylor once belonged to Herman Loock, a blacksmith who lived from about 1880 to 1900 on the corner lot at 2219 Union.  Between January 1903 and October 1904 Gustave Artz, a butcher, acquired these 3 lots.  In about 1905 he moved the house that Herman Loock had lived in to the rear of the lot and rotated it 90 degrees to face Taylor at 908 Taylor, and then he built his new house on the front of the lot at 2217 Union.  The Greek Revival center hall cottage at 908 Taylor was built in about 1879 by Herman Loock, a German immigrant.

Made 19 Jul 1973 for appraisal purposes.  Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.

For additional historical details click here.