The firm of Krupp and Tuffly had a store on Main Street where they sold boots and shoes. In 1879 the firm bought 3 lots on Colorado (then called Heiss Street) that had been part of a 20-acre tract bought by German immigrant Gregor Heiss in 1853. They built a house on each lot. The house that they built at 713 Colorado was substantially enlarged and remodeled in 1899 by James Burns, a locomotive engineer. The current house, an ell-wing Folk Victorian cottage, is believed to have originated as a Fourth Ward North cottage. Burns and his wife lived at 713 Colorado from 1888 until 1907. Alfred Raymond Van Tress, an accountant, and his family lived there from 1922 until 1942. After 1942 713 Colorado was rental property. Since 2014 it has belonged to the Texas Police Trust.
Made 10 Dec 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.