2010 Lubbock

This 2-story cross-gable Queen Anne Victorian house was built in about 1901 at 1520 State by William Diehl, a German immigrant and a machinist. He lived there until his death in 1936, and his wife Mathilda continued to live there until a year or so before her death in 1950. Herman Buhse, who operated an auto trim business at 1616 Lubbock, bought the property in 1967, and the house was rented until 1997 when he sold 3 contiguous lots (including 1520 State) to Patrick David Loftus. Those 3 lots are now a parking lot. In 1998 the Diehl house was moved to 2010 Lubbock; the McGowan house at 1517 Lubbock was moved to 2110 State; and a grand 2-story house at 1519 Lubbock, also known as the McGowan house, burned January 1, 2001, a few weeks before it was scheduled to be moved to the SW corner of Lubbock and Sabine.

2010 Lubbock is the oldest surviving 2-story house in the Sixth Ward built with a centrally located, indoor bathroom.

For additional historical details click here.