In 1853 Joseph Renner, a German immigrant, bought a 2-acre tract south of the new Washington Road and east of what is now Sabine Street. In 1879, 14 years before his death, the tract was divided into lots; some were given to his children and some were sold. Joseph Renner's daughter Flora M. Jones received lot 8.
The five-bay center hall Folk Victorian cottage with an applied ½ width porch now on lot 8 at 812 Sabine was built in about 1888 by John Krohn, a tailor. He never lived here. He sold it in 1889 to J. Frank Ilfrey, a carpenter, who lived at 812 Sabine until 1902.
Theodore Werner owned and operated a retail grocery store at 1709 Washington, and he and his heirs were the owners of 812 Sabine from 1902 until 1975. Between 1896 and 1907 a second house was built on the back of lot 8. It faced a narrow street or alley on the east side of the Renner tract called Renner Court, which no longer exists. That house at 814 Renner Court was also accessible from the west end of Bismark Street, and the address is now 1715 Bismark. Since 1996 812 Sabine and 1715 Bismark have had separate owners. From 1902 until 1996 both houses were rental property.