In 1853 Joseph Renner, a German immigrant, bought a 2-acre tract south of the new Washington Road and east of what is now Sabine Street. In 1879, 14 years before his death, the tract was divided into lots; some were given to his children and some were sold. Joseph Renner's daughter Mollie Glover received lot 11, but she did not keep it long.
Thomas Skorupinski, a Polish immigrant and a shoemaker, built a 1-story raised house on 8' brick piers at 720 Sabine in about 1887 and lived there until 1922. In 1928 the original house was raised further and enlarged, a ground floor was added underneath it, and a new roof was built over the entire structure. The entire original roof could be seen in the attic of the new structure, which was divided into apartments. Sadly it was damaged by Hurricane Ike and subsequently demolished.