This Fourth Ward North Cottage with a full width inset porch was built in about 1882 by Ellis Nickerson. He is in city directories as a machinist or a machinist's helper in the H. & T. C. shops and then as a packer at the Bering-Cortes hardware store. His wife Lucy is a laundress at home. They were among a small number of black property owners. They lived at 605 White until about 1922. Soon after his wife's death in 1923, Ellis Nickerson sold the lot to Frank Maiorana, who in 1926 built the bungalow at 607 White. During the Maiorana ownership until 1947 both houses were rental property. In 1947 the two houses were sold separately. 605 White was altered in recent years with the change of fenestration and addition of new windows on both sides.
Made 31 Oct 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.