This center hall Folk Victorian house was originally built in the mid 1880’s at 813 Houston Avenue as the rectory for the German Baptist Church next door. In 1923 the German Baptist Church became the Mexican Presbyterian Church. The church and rectory had been purchased by the First Presbyterian Church. In 1940 the First Presbyterian Church sold the property on Houston Avenue to Knapp Chevrolet, relocated the church to 1601 Johnson, and purchased the vacant lot at 1813 Decatur. After the rectory was moved to its new location on Decatur, it continued to function as the church's rectory until 1961. The new Art Deco Knapp Chevrolet Dealership showroom was built on the former site of the rectory.
Made 29 Oct 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.