In 1853 Joseph Renner, a German immigrant, bought a 2-acre tract south of the new Washington Road and east of what is now Sabine Street. In 1879, 14 years before his death, the tract was divided into lots; some were given to his children and some were sold. Joseph Renner's son Joseph Renner, Jr. received lot 7.
In 1907 the Houston Ice Cream Company was in a small 2-story store at 1703 Washington on the southwest corner of Washington and Colorado. It evolved into an ice cream factory called Foremost Dairies, Inc., which occupied all of the west side of Colorado north of Bismark. Foremost Dairies acquired lot 7 and the south half of lot 6 with 80' of frontage on Sabine. At least part of it was a parking lot. The historic buildings were demolished. The 4 buildings now at 816 Sabine were built in the late 1990's by the Jettie Brothers as affordable housing, using a FHLB grant.