The metal warehouse now at 1704 Lubbock replaced the two houses that can be seen in the top photograph below. The 2-story house was originally built before 1890 as a 1-story Gulf Coast Colonial cottage facing Colorado at 703 Colorado. Shortly after Henry B. Heiman bought the corner lot in 1910, he rotated the house 90 degrees to face Lubbock at 1704 Lubbock and raised it so as to be able to build another story below the original house. The Greek Revival door with sidelights on the 2nd floor in the photograph is the original entrance to the house. Heiman was a real estate agent and contractor, and he also built the other house in the photograph at 711 Colorado.
In 1919 and 1920 Heiman sold the two houses to two different parties, and they remained separated for 50 years. Herman Buhse bought one part of the corner lot in 1967 and the other part in 1969. He owned Veteran Trim & Supply Co. (auto trim) at 1616 Lubbock, and he built the metal warehouse at 1704 Lubbock in about 1990 for his company.
1704 Lubbock is not part of the Old Sixth Ward Protected Historic District.
Made 27 Jul 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.