Charles William Doering, a draftsman and machinist for the H. & T. C. railroad, purchased lots 1 and 2 for $550 in 1884 and designed his own residence to be built on the corner lot in 1885. He also designed an identical house at 709 Silver, which no longer stands.
C. W. Doering was born on August 16, 1846 and his wife, Helene, was born on March 8, 1854. They raised five children: Paula C., b. 1876, Charles A., b. 1879, Frances, b. 1881, Eleonore, b. 1885, and Bertha, b. 1888. Paula and Bertha were graduates of the University of Texas in Austin and were public school teachers. Paula taught mathematics at Lamar Senior High School, and Bertha taught mathematics at Sam Houston Senior High School (today's HCC's Central Campus). Charles was for many years chief clerk for the city's street and bridge department. Only Frances married. C. W. Doering died in 1910 after the family moved to the Third Ward in about 1908. The unmarried children lived with their mother until she died in 1927, and then they lived together. They are buried with their parents in the Doering plot in Glenwood.
C. W. became prosperous from inventing a jack that could be used to lift locomotive driving axles and wheels (http://www.google.com/patents/US732142) and acquired a hunting ranch out in Piney Point. That area is known today as Doering Place.
The Doerings were very active in local German organizations such as the Saegerbund and Turnverein and were one of the major benefactors for the construction of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church at the SE corner of Texas and Milam Streets. The congregation has been moved to 1311 Holman, where it still worships to this day.
The Doering House at 1820 Kane on lot 1 was expanded to nearly twice its size sometime between 1896 and 1907, but part of the addition was removed when the house at 1818 Kane was built on lot 2 in about 1916.
The Doering family sold lots 1 and 2 to John Barbato in 1920. 1820 Kane was used as rental property for the rest of the century until it was remodeled by the Thompsons in the late 1990's. John Barbato operated a bakery at 1818 Kane.