A typical Gulf Coast cottage was moved onto the lot from somewhere in the 1890's by Adam Clay, who owned a dry goods store on Washington Avenue just east of Houston Avenue. In 1896 Clay sold the property to Thomas R. Golding, a marble dealer and cutter whose business was on the north side of Washington across from the cemeteries. In 1903 Golding built an addition on the front, and the original house became the rear service wing of the new house.
In 1905 Golding was run over by a streetcar. His widow continued to live at 2115 Kane until her death in 1917, and the property remained in the family until 1935. From about 1927 until the early 1950's the house was rented.