By 1896 a 2-story store was on the northwest corner of Kane and Hemphill. Several people had leased the building and operated a grocery store there by 1925, when Joseph Scardino, an Italian immigrant, bought the building. He operated a grocery store there until about 1940. Because the current residential building at 2202 Kane has same footprint as the store but has the characteristics of a 1940's building, it is probable that the 1890's store above the floor was demolished and a new residential building was constructed on the floor plate of the old building. The lot remained in the Scardino family until 1986, and members of the family lived for many years at 2202 Kane, 2206 Kane, and 803 Hemphill.