This post-Victorian house was built in about 1905 as a tenant house by William Vollmer, who in 1893 had purchased 2 lots on the NE corner of Decatur and Taylor. William was a farmer who continued to operate a large farm established by his father, a German immigrant. Part of the farm was inside Loop 610; the Vollmer Cemetery is today in the Timbergrove Manor subdivision. 2218 and 2220 Decatur were probably built at about the same time; in city directories after 1908 they are rental property until they were sold by Vollmer heirs in 1964. Descendants of the Vollmer family have stated that lumber from the farm was used to build these houses.
Made 19 Jul 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.