In 1907 James A. Baker, Jr. bought 4 1/2 lots on the corner of State and Silver and the 4 1/2 lots south of them on Nicaragua (now North Memorial Way). The buyer was Capt. James A. Baker (1857-1941), the second of 4 James A. Bakers associated with the law firm of Baker Botts. There were already 2 houses on State St. The north half of the property was divided into 5 lots with 45' of frontage. Three new Classical Revival style houses were built in 1907 on vacant lots at 1813, 1815, and 1817 State St. In December 1907 Charles and Fannie Dorfman, Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, bought 1813 State for $3250. He was a street peddler and vegetable vendor. They lived at 1813 and then at 1816 State St. until 1945.
Maria Arrondo and her son Louis