This 2-story post-Victorian house was built about 1908 by Gustav A. Herzog. The 1-story house at 1817 Decatur was originally built in the middle of the 2 corner lots, which were purchased by Herzog in 1892. He lived for several years at 1817 Decatur and then in about 1908 moved the 1-story house eastward to free up the corner lot for his new 2-story house. He and his wife lived at 1819 Decatur until 1939. Gustav Herzog worked as a machinist for the National Cotton Oil Co. and for the Industrial Cotton Oil Co.
Made 29 Oct 1973 for appraisal purposes. Courtesy Harris Co. Archives.