This Folk Victorian ell-wing cottage with Italianate influences was built in about 1888 on the SE corner of Lubbock and Sabine at 1717 Lubbock by Francois/Frank Tajan, a French immigrant described in the census as a landlord and in city directories as a real estate owner. He built 7 tenant houses, on both sides of State Street, in the 1800 block, and he owned a tract on the NE corner of Sabine and Nicaragua (now North Memorial Way) on which 6 houses and a store were located. Tajan kept most of the houses on Sabine until 1920. He died in 1922.
Two identical 2-story houses were built in about 1911 at 615 and 617 Sabine. They burned in separate incidents in 1989 and 1994, and in 2008 Frank Tajan's personal residence was moved across Sabine Street to occupy the corner lot. It was known for its progressive floor plan and high degree of workmanship.
In 2010 Ann and Salvador Guercio received a Good Brick award from Preservation Houston "for the restoration of their historic house (1887) at 1801 Lubbock Street".
At 1717 Lubbock before relocation to 1801 Lubbock in 2006.
The house now at 1801 Lubbock occupies the lot once occupied by two identical houses at 615 and 617 Sabine before they were destroyed by fire. The remains of 617 Sabine can be seen below.