This vernacular Queen Anne Victorian sidehall cottage was built in about 1905 on the far west side of a 2-lot tract at the corner of Lubbock and Sabine owned by Joseph W. Melvin, who lived in a large house at 1804 Lubbock. 1806 Lubbock was squeezed into the space between the large house and the west property line. The large house was gone by 1920. It may have burned. By 1944 Joe G. Bender had consolidated 3 lots on the corner, and he and his wife lived for many years at 1806 Lubbock. She lived there until 1982.