In 1907 James A. Baker, Jr. bought 4 1/2 lots on the corner of State and Silver and the 4 1/2 lots south of them on Nicaragua (now North Memorial Way). The buyer was Capt. James A. Baker (1857-1941), the second of 4 James A. Bakers associated with the law firm of Baker Botts. There were already 2 houses on State St. The north half of the property was divided into 5 lots with 45' of frontage. Three new Classical Revival style houses were built in 1907 on vacant lots at 1813, 1815, and 1817 State St. Mrs. Ernestine Gross bought 1817 State for $3700 in 1908. She and her husband Louis Gross, a street peddler, were Jewish immigrants born in Germany, and they lived there until 1939. Their daughter Eva and her husband Harry F. George, an electrician, lived in the house until 1971.